Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Floating Share

Monday 3 February 2014

Relief from TMJ Syndrome, Teeth Grinding, and Chronic Jaw Tension

Relief from TMJ Syndrome, Teeth Grinding, and Chronic Jaw Tension

Jaw tension is nasty business.  I carried anxiety and anger in my jaw for years, which resulted in neck pain and frequent headaches, which then resulted in a whole host of other postural and psychological problems.  Over time, I have been able to let go of this tension, but not without diligent effort.

I regularly suggest during my classes that students check in with and let go of any tension accumulating in the jaw and throat as a by-product of their efforts in order to help my students develop awareness of their stress reactions.   Students often ask me what they can do to address their chronic jaw tension outside of class.  I give them Lion Pose (which illicits dubious stares) and tell them to simply replace the stress reaction of tension with one of relaxation.

There is no quick fix for TMJ syndrome, grinding of the teeth, or other tension issues.  Relaxation is hard work, but developing a keen awareness is the first step to overcoming the harmful habit of unconscious clenching of the jaw.  For a few more fantastic tips on relief from jaw tension, here's Kiki in all of her infinite wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment