Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Floating Share

Tuesday 4 March 2014

Manuka Honey - Health Miracle or Just Hype?


For a couple of weeks now I have been using Manuka Honey in my diet, skincare and hair regime.  I have wanted to try it for many years as it’s renowned for such amazing health benefits.  I saw it was in the Holland and Barrett’s buy 1 get 1 for a penny sale and just couldn’t resist!  However, it is rather expensive!  Although I got 2 for the price of 1-ish, they are only 250g each costing £12.99.  The reason Manuka Honey is so expensive is because it is  mono-floral honey (made by bees that interact with just one species of flower), derived from blooms which flower for just 2-6 weeks a year.



So, what are the benefits of Manuka Honey?



Digestive healthManuka honey can aid a variety of issues, including bloating, acid reflux, indigestion, stomach ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome. Simply stir into a mug of hot water or other hot drink to soothe your pains.

Immunity: Feeling a cold or sore throat coming on? Stir a teaspoon of Manuka honey into your hot lemon drink to prevent the cold bug taking a grip. Manuka honey is high in antibacterial levels and recommended in the treatment of ulcers, strep throat, cold sores, skin infections, cuts and abrasions.
Skin Conditions: Manuka honey is an excellent treatment for skin conditions such as eczema, insect bites, burns, and surgery wounds.  Just apply it directly onto your skin. It also helps reduce scarring and healing time and can also be used as a face mask, as well as soothing sunburn.
Acne and rosacea sufferers can benefit from the use of Manuka honey as a skin cleanser; its anti-inflammatory qualities help skin conditions without removing natural oils.
Energy:  Manuka honey is great for a short-term energy boost as it is it made up purely of carbohydrates, such as fructose and glucose - your body's primary energy source.




Each tub of Manuka honey bears its own Unique Manuka Factor  (UMF) – a scale that identifies the level of anti-bacterial potency in that particular supply. A UMF rating of 10+ is the minimum required to gain the UMF rating and thus be considered effective for purpose. Honey that meets this minimum requirement is commonly referred to as Active Manuka Honey. The levels of UMF which are of optimum benefit are 10+ to 15+.  The general rule with Manuka Honey is the higher the UMF grade, the more active natural bacterial properties it has, therego being better for us.  The higher the number though, the higher the price tag.  All honeys boast some level of antibacterial powers, but Manuka is accepted to contain properties that are superior to those found in other strains.

The honey I purchased was the Manuka Doctor apiwellness 12+Active Manuka Honey from New Zealand.  The smell is quite distinct and strong, in a very nice yummy kind of way.  It is possibly the nicest honey I have ever used.

In my diet: absolutely delicious on toast, extremely tasty added to hot drinks and even just eaten off a spoon! :-)
In my skincare: when I apply this as a mask, or cleanse with it I can really feel the natural bacterial properties getting to work on my blemishes.  It doesn’t hurt or sting or anything, I can just feel that it is doing it’s magic.
Hair care: I have added this to conditioner, as well as used it for honey hair lightening and it works amazingly well.

Overall, I really can’t fault this honey at all, as I expected it delivered as expected and more...it’s just I don’t think I could afford to purchase it often.  I really wish I could purchase it every time, but for the amount of honey I go through every week it would just cost me too much.  I am planning to repurchase definitely though, and I totally recommend everyone to try Manuka Honey for themselves to see just how great it is.  The problem with cheaper honeys is they cut it up with corn syrup; I usually purchase raw honey, but I’m going to be purchasing Manuka honey just for consuming, and the raw for my beauty needs.  It is expensive, but it is SO worth it.  :-)


Having a Manuka honey-swirled hot drink in the morning should give you an energy lift for those early morning travels, but do remember to eat complex carbohydrates such as wholegrain bread and fibre breakfast cereal too, to avoid any potential energy slumps that can occur when consuming Manuka honey by itself. Also be careful of consuming too much honey in general, as this is a source of sugar -an excessive intake can lead to weight gain, regardless of the honey’s source.


Have you tried Manuka honey yet? What are your thoughts?  :-)

Source:http://www.kinderhealthandbeauty.com/2014/02/manuka-honey-worth-hype.html

No comments:

Post a Comment